Updated Apr 21/19
Red DSMC2 Helium S35 8K
DSMC2 Helium Brain
RED’s HELIUM camera BRAIN delivers cutting-edge performance in any shooting scenario. The DSMC2 Helium is RED's highest resolution Super35 camera.
Regardless of which sensor you choose, RED delivers stunning resolution and image quality—creating clean and organic images that bring your footage to life. RED has taken the next step in exceeding the flexibility and beauty offered by film – up to 17x more resolution than HD—and over 4x more than 4K. A DSMC2 BRAIN is capable of data write speeds of 300 MB/s, can simultaneously record in REDCODE RAW and Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHR/HD.
The DSMC2 form factor is Red's smallest and lightest BRAIN ever. With features like cable-free peripherals, integrated media bay, wireless control, and more—HELIUM is a most powerful and intuitive camera. It is also compatible with a growing arsenal of modules and accessories—from RED and other Third-Party manufacturers. Tack on interchangeable OLPFs and lens mounts and HELIUM gives you the ultimate control over your footage.
NOTE: The HELIUM BRAIN itself does not have a DC IN power port. A port expander or power module is required to power the camera.
BUILD YOUR RED HELIUM
RED DSMC2 HELIUM 8K S35 BRAIN
(710-0304) - $31,850 - special order - takes about a week
8K resolution in a Super 35 format and recipient of the highest DxO score ever. The DSMC2 Helium 8K Brain consists of the main body, sensor, MiniMag slot, and standard OLPF. That's it. Everything else is added on. Note - the Helium brain is a DSMC2 body, and requires DSMC2-compatible accessories.
LENS MOUNT - Heliumi does not ship
with a lens mount. Choose from Canon EF, PL, Nikon, and Leica
mounts. The lens mount is user-changeable, so you can also
change your lens mount depending on the lenses you own, rent
ACCESSORY PACKAGE - Consider adding an Accessory Package, which combines various needed components together. Requires less thinking and angst, but it is also non-customizable.
CUSTOM BUILD - Want to build your camera piece by piece? Click on these individual categories to custom-build your Red your way:
MEDIA - You need Red MiniMag Media to record your footage, otherwise it will be pretty pointless to buy a camera.
Red Armour Extended Warranty for DSMC2 Helium 8K S35 -
(780-0035) The DSMC2 Helium 8K S35 comes with a standard 2 Year Warranty. You can purchase a Red Armour Extended Warranty that extends the warranty to 4 Years. Red Armour has to be purchased at time of camera order.
The great thing about RED is you can build it the way you want (or afford) now, and then endlessly change and add things.
DSMC2 HELIUM 8K SPECS
- 35.4 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, with effective pixels of 8192 x 4320. Sensor size is 29.90mm x 15.77mm, Diagonal 33.8mm
- Dynamic Range: 16.5 Stops
- Maximum Data Rates: 300 MB/s when using Red Mini Mag 480GB & 960 GB; 225 MB/s when using Red Mini Mag 120GB & 240GB
- Maximum Frame Rates: 60 fps at 8K Full Format (8192x4320); 75 fps at 8K 2.4:1 (8192x3456), 75 fps at 6K Full Format, 100 fps at 6K 2.4:1, 96 fps at 5K Full Format (5120x2700), 120 fps at 4K Full Format (4096x2160); 150 fps at 3K Full Format (3072 x 1620); 240 fps at 2K Full Format (2048 x 1080). NOTE: When shooting at resolutions less than 8K, the sensor "windows", so you don't get the full size of the sensor when shooting 2K, 3K, 4K or 6K. The image will be cropped.
- RedCode Compression Settings: 5:1 RedCode for 8K Full Format at 24 fps, 12:1 RedCode for 8K Full Format at 60 fps
- Playback Frame Rates: 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 47.95, 48, 50, 59.94, 60 fps, all resolutions
- Redcode Raw Acquistion Formats: 8K Full Format (8192x4320): 2:1, 2.4:1, 16:9, 14:9, 8:9, 3:2, 6:5, 4:1, 8:1, and Anamorphic 2x, 1.3x, 1.25x (6K, 4K, 3K and 2K formats are also available at the same ratios, but the image will be "windowed" and cropped, so usually you don't shoot in anything other than 8K)
- Apple ProRes Formats:
4K (4096 x 2160): ProRes 422 HQ, 422, 422 LT up to 29.97 fps
2K (2048 x 1080): ProRes 4444 XQ, 4444, 422 HQ, 422, 422 LT up to 120 fps
- Avid Codecs:
4K (4096 x 2160): DNxHR HQX 12 bit, HQ, SQ and LB 8 bit, up to 29.97 fps
2K (2048 x 1080): DNxHR 444 12 bit, up to 120 fps
HD (1920x1080): DNxHD 444 and HQX 10 bit, HQ, SQ and LB 8 bit, up to 120 fps
Weight: 3.3 lbs (brain only)
Monitor Outputs: 1080p RGB or 4:2:2 via optional modules (SDI or HDMI depending on the module)
Find Monstro here