Updated Nov 15/19
Red DSMC2 Monstro 8K VV
DSMC2 Monstro 8K VV Brain
RED’s flagship camera, with a premier sensor provides cinematic Full Frame lens coverage and delivers 17+ stops of dynamic range. 8K Full Frame, 17 stops of DR, 75 fps, all for under $100K - take that Arri!
MONSTRO delivers stunning resolution and image quality—creating clean and organic images that bring your footage to life. RED has taken the next step in exceeding the flexibility and beauty offered by film – up to 17x more resolution than HD—and over 4x more than 4K. A DSMC2 BRAIN is capable of data write speeds of 300 MB/s, can simultaneously record in REDCODE RAW and Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHR/HD.
The DSMC2 form factor is the smallest and lightest BRAIN ever. With features like cable-free peripherals, integrated media bay, wireless control, and more—Monstro is the most powerful and intuitive camera to date. It is also compatible with a growing arsenal of modules and accessories—from RED and other Third-Party manufacturers. Tack on interchangeable OLPFs and lens mounts and Monstro gives you the ultimate control over your footage.
NOTE: The DSMC2 MONSTRO itself does not have a DC IN power port. A port expander or power module is required to power the camera.
BUILD YOUR MONSTRO 8K VV
Red DSMC2 Monstro 8K VV Brain & PL Mount (Aluminum) -
$73,500 - special order - takes about 1-2 weeks
The Red eco-system is a modular system, and you start with the brain. You then add Red or 3rd Party modules to build your camera. Think of it like Lego, except a wee more expensive. The Monstro Brain consists of the main body, sensor, MiniMag slot, PL mount, and standard OLPF. That's it. Everything else is added on. Note - the Monstro brain is a DSMC2 body, and requires DSMC2-compatible accessories. What's included: The Monstro Brain, DSMC VV AI PL Mount 2.0.
LENS MOUNT - Monstro does ship
with a PL lens mount. But you can change it if you wish! Choose
from Canon EF, Nikon, and Leica mounts. The lens mount
is user-changeable, so you can also change your lens mount
depending on the lenses you own, rent or buy.
CUSTOM BUILD - Build your camera piece by piece. Click on these individual categories to custom-build your Red your way:
MEDIA - You need Red MiniMag Media to record your footage, otherwise it will be pretty pointless to buy a camera.
Red Armour DSMC2 Extended Warranty - $3800
(780-0035) The DSMC2 Monstro 8K VV comes with a standard 2 Year Warranty. You can purchase a Red Armour Extended Warranty that extends the warranty to 4 Years. Red Armour has to be purchased at the time of ordering the camera.
The great thing about RED is you can build it the way you want (or afford) now, and then endlessly change and add things.
DSMC2 MONSTRO 8K VV SPECS
- 35.4 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, with effective pixels of 8192 x 4320
- Full Frame Sensor Size: 40.96 mm x 21.60 mm (Diag: 46.31 mm)
- Dynamic Range: 17 Stops
- Maximum Data Rates: 300 MB/s when using Red Mini Mag 480GB & 960 GB; 225 MB/s when using Red Mini Mag 120GB & 240GB
- Maximum Frame Rates: 60 fps at 8K Full Format (8192x4320); 75 fps at 8K 2.4:1 (8192x3456), 75 fps at 6K Full Format, 100 fps at 6K 2.4:1, 96 fps at 5K Full Format (5120x2700), 120 fps at 4K Full Format (4096x2160); 150 fps at 3K Full Format (3072 x 1620); 240 fps at 2K Full Format (2048 x 1080). NOTE: When shooting at resolutions less than 8K, the sensor "windows", so you don't get the full size of the sensor when shooting 2K, 3K, 4K or 6K. The image will be cropped.
- RedCode Compression Settings: 5:1 RedCode for 8K Full Format at 24 fps, 12:1 RedCode for 8K Full Format at 60 fps
- Playback Frame Rates: 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 47.95, 48, 50, 59.94, 60 fps, all resolutions
- Redcode Raw Acquistion Formats: 8K Full Format (8192x4320): 2:1, 2.4:1, 16:9, 14:9, 8:9, 3:2, 6:5, 4:1, 8:1, and Anamorphic 2x, 1.3x, 1.25x (6K, 4K, 3K and 2K formats are also available at similiar ratios, but the image will be "windowed" and cropped, so usually you don't shoot in anything other than 8K)
- Apple ProRes Formats:
4K (4096 x 2160): ProRes 422 HQ, 422, 422 LT up to 29.97 fps
2K (2048 x 1080): ProRes 4444 XQ, 4444, 422 HQ, 422, 422 LT up to 120 fps
- Avid Codecs:
4K (4096 x 2160): DNxHR HQX 12 bit, HQ, SQ and LB 8 bit, up to 29.97 fps
2K (2048 x 1080): DNxHR 444 12 bit, up to 120 fps
HD (1920x1080): DNxHD 444 and HQX 10 bit, HQ, SQ and LB 8 bit, up to 120 fps
Weight: 3.3 lbs (brain only)
Monitor Outputs: 1080p RGB or 4:2:2 via optional modules (SDI or HDMI depending on the module)